Introduction:

In my mid-twenties, I promised myself that I would visit all 7 continents by age 40. I kinda thought that would happen naturally, without any special effort on my part. Alas, I now find myself precisely age 40, and I've only been to 5 continents!


So at the end of 2007, I booked a flight to Argentina, the most common jumping-off point for voyages to Antarctica. I've scheduled about a month to find a stand-by berth on an expedition ship. I depart Argentina on February 7, 2008, for Melbourne, Australia. If all goes as planned, I will celebrate my 7th continent on February 10. And if I'm not too hung over, I will celebrate my 41st birthday on February 11. In Spanish, they call this timing "justito." I'd call it "cutting things close." Welcome along for the ride!


A note regarding photos: if you have trouble viewing the slide shows, try this alternate link: http://picasaweb.google.com/travelinsider .


Wednesday

Wednesday, January 23: A lazy day in Colonia, Uruguay

Just an hour away from Buenos Aires by ferry, the World Heritage site of Colonia seemed like a good side trip. It was built in the 1600s as a Portuguese trading post, and became rich as a site for free trade (avoiding the steep tariffs of Spanish-controlled Buenos Aires.) Today, it is a small, sleepy town with a decent beach and some gorgeous historic neighborhoods.



At the hostel, I met Pip from England, who is traveling solo for a year before heading to university. She and I borrowed bicycles from the hostel, and spent a day riding along 5k of pleasantly deserted beach. At one point, we found a restaurant on the beach, with umbrellas and strawberry daquiris. Not a bad excuse for a pit stop!

Pip had just come from a fascinating little journey by tandem bicycle. A guy named Dom Gill is riding from Alaska to Patagonia on a tandem bike, with one seat open to all takers. His website is Takeaseat.org . Very cool project. After a week riding with Dom the Andes mountains, Pips was in pretty good cycling shape, so she got back to the hostel a good bit before I did.

No comments: