Introduction:

In my mid-twenties, I promised myself that I would visit all 7 continents by age 40. I kinda thought that would happen naturally, without any special effort on my part. Alas, I now find myself precisely age 40, and I've only been to 5 continents!


So at the end of 2007, I booked a flight to Argentina, the most common jumping-off point for voyages to Antarctica. I've scheduled about a month to find a stand-by berth on an expedition ship. I depart Argentina on February 7, 2008, for Melbourne, Australia. If all goes as planned, I will celebrate my 7th continent on February 10. And if I'm not too hung over, I will celebrate my 41st birthday on February 11. In Spanish, they call this timing "justito." I'd call it "cutting things close." Welcome along for the ride!


A note regarding photos: if you have trouble viewing the slide shows, try this alternate link: http://picasaweb.google.com/travelinsider .


Wednesday

Wednesday Jan 16: Rainy Day in Ushuaia:

The weather is ugly today, so I'm taking advantage of the time to catch up on my blog, and add some nifty features.

Two new photo albums:

First, a set of highlights from the passengers of the cruise immediately before mine. Passengers often load their best shots onto the guest computer in the ship's bar, to share with other passengers. Here are the "best of the best" of their photos:



Our group did the same thing, sharing photos on the guest computer. Here are some of the best shots from all passengers on my expedition. Where I know the photographer, I credit his or her name.

No comments: